I would choose Mongolia as the country of origin for my class family as I really do not know anything about this country.
I am a visual person hence I would first watch any documentary on Mongolia. I will also go through the family's file upfront to know a little a bit about them. I will have a sit down with the family and get to know them better. I may even give them a form to fill up where they can tell me more about themselves, their family culture or the culture of where they come from. And I would join an online group of people who are from Mongolia and start making online friends so that can get to know more people from the country and thus learn more about them and the place.
I hope this way, I will be able to help the family to settle in in the new environment without ignoring their background of origin. I also hope that I can help them to keep up their roots by blending in their culture into the classroom so that other children will be learn about it. This is not just for one kid of course. I will do for all children in the class so that everyone gets to learn about each others culture in a fun learning way.
I am a visual person hence I would first watch any documentary on Mongolia. I will also go through the family's file upfront to know a little a bit about them. I will have a sit down with the family and get to know them better. I may even give them a form to fill up where they can tell me more about themselves, their family culture or the culture of where they come from. And I would join an online group of people who are from Mongolia and start making online friends so that can get to know more people from the country and thus learn more about them and the place.
I hope this way, I will be able to help the family to settle in in the new environment without ignoring their background of origin. I also hope that I can help them to keep up their roots by blending in their culture into the classroom so that other children will be learn about it. This is not just for one kid of course. I will do for all children in the class so that everyone gets to learn about each others culture in a fun learning way.
That is a great idea to go to a chat line to talk to people from the country that you are doing research on. Also having a time to meet and greet to learn more about the family. We have a form that the family fills out which asks questions about their home life, culture and their child.
ReplyDelete