My
first birthing experience was something completely different to what
I imagined it would have been. I was in the middles east then. I went
in for my last doctor's checkup which was days before my calculated
due date. I was in full term of the pregnancy.
After
the checkup and an ultrasound scan, my doctor told me that the
amniotic fluid was low and that I need to get admitted and get
induced for labour pain (as I wasn't in any pain and my water bag
hadn't broke). At this point, I was still very confident that I will
be going through a normal vaginal birthing experience. I was induced
twice during the day but I still didn't get any pain. The doctor told
me and my husband that the baby needed to come out within 24hrs after
inducing. The longer the baby was inside, the higher the risk was for
infection for both the baby and me.
The
time was ticking but I was still not in labour pain. After
calculating the risk factor, me and my husband decided that I would
go in for cesarean surgery. This wasn't an easy decision for me as I
always wanted a normal vaginal delivery. But I knew I had no chance
when I wasn't getting into labour pain and dilating.
Next,
after the paper work, the anesthetist came in to brief me regarding
the procedure. I opted to for an epidural as advised by the
anesthetist. She convinced me that this way, I will be able to see
the baby as soon as it comes out. So I agreed. As I was waiting for
my turn to be wheeled into the surgery theatre, I was contemplating
whether to cancel the whole idea of going in for a surgery. I was
terrified at the thought of being cut open, while I was still awake.
I was thinking to myself “ what if I could feel the pain?”, “
what if something goes wrong?” and so on. My husband was not
allowed to go into the surgery theatre with me. That just made it
worst for me. But thankfully, after the epidural procedure, the
anesthetist sat right next to me and held my hand till the end just
trying to comfort me. Each moment she was comforting me with her
gentle words and touch. She made me feel calm and safe.
Within
minutes, my baby boy was born. However, the only allowed me to see
him but not to touch him. I felt very sad. The staffs cleaned him and
checked thoroughly. Later they handed my baby boy to my husband who
was waiting outside. My husband told me that he had a moment with him
and then the nurses took the baby to the nursery. I didn't see him
until much later.
When
I finally got to see him, they have already fed him with formula
milk. This was another disappointment for me.
I
stayed in the hospital for 4 days due to the surgery. I tried my best
to breastfeed my baby but even after informing the nursery not to,
they still fed my baby with formula during the night. But I continued
to breastfeed him even after going back home.
My
parents and mother in law were a big support for me and my husband.
We were leaving in another country and yet our family flew in to help
us with this first experience. We felt blessed. My mom cooked all of
our traditional confinement food for me and my mother in law helped
me to bath my baby the traditional way.
My
only regret through this experience is that I wasn't able to touch
and breastfeed my baby just right after he was born. This is why I
chose to tell this story. I believe the first touch and the first
milk between the mother and baby is so crucial in a child's
development stage. Infants thrive on bonds with his/her parents as it
signifies the baby's first model of intimate relationships, gives a
sense of security and positive self esteem.
India
leads the world in the number of women who die during childbirth.
Every eight minutes, a mother
dies
in childbirth. The are apparently three reasons to this perfectly
avoidable or preventable
consequences.
The couples and their families are not educated enough or well
informed about
recognizing
early warning signs during pregnancy and seeking medical help
immediately. Secondly,
mothers
die at home or on their way to the hospital because there unprepared
for any complications.
Most
of the childbirth in India happens at home and usually there are no
skilled midwife available to
guide
the childbirth. When things get too complicated, its too late to get
the mother to the hospital as
transportation
is a big problem in most areas. And even if the mother gets to the
hospital on time, there
is
no right facilities or expertise readily available to save the mother
and the child. There is just so
much
differences between the birthing experiences that most of the women
in India go through
compared
the one I went through. There is so much risk involved in the
childbirth process in India
where
else the risk in my childbirth has been mitigated and reduced because
of better facilities and
expertise
readily available to handle any complications. A child born in india
under those
circumstances
stand a higher chance of not having a healthy development. He/she
will be prone to
many
diseases, complications and even early death.
I like reading about the different perspective of childbirth
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing
Me too. :-) Thank you for reading mine and leaving a comment.
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your child birth experience. You had a good support system through your labor.
Yes, I definitely had a good support system throughout my labor. Thank you for reading my birth story and leaving a comment. :-)
Delete