Sunday, September 27, 2015

Consequences of Stress on Children's Development

 I grew up in a multiracial country. Although nobody talks about it during the time I was growing up, there are times I have experienced racism behavior towards myself. During school days, I was called names and looked down by my peer of other races especially the boys. Me and many of my friends who are like me dealt with this by being quiet about it and never make a big deal out of it. We just remove ourselves from any racism provoking situations. I guess this has instilled low self esteem in myself during my childhood days. But now that I have grown up and know better of our history and how I am, I am no longer ashamed of myself and much more brave to face anyone who portrays racism towards anyone.
I researched on how the black children in United States were subjected to racism. The child needs to be prepared to face the racism in all forms starting from school, criminal justice systems, employment and so on. Black children are thought very early in their life on how to deal with police officers. That itself is quite traumatizing for a growing child. It instills fear and impairs his self confidence. Please read more about the impact of racism towards black children through this link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448601/

However, I don't think much is done to minimize this harm done to the black children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment