I am so lucky that I have friends who are all so different in so many ways but we have one thing in common which is our great friendship. I have contacted three of my friends who are from different culture, race, country and so on. Let's just say, Miss 'A' is from the US and she is of hispanic background, Miss 'B' is from Japan but has been living in the Netherlands for many years and also married to a Dutch and Miss 'C' is a Syrian who was born and brought up in Belgium.
However, due to unforeseen circumstances, Miss 'C' could not come back to me on time.
Miss 'A' had explained culture and diversity closest to what I have learnt in this course. Culture and in her words "Culture is the way of life by a group of people, plain and simple. It isn't based on written rules, it is something that naturally happens and it affects how we choose to live and how we choose to perceive the world around us. Culture is influenced by everyday attitudes & thoughts, family values, ideas, traditions, beliefs, etc. We learn from our families and our communities what is culturally acceptable and not acceptable but as we grow, we find ways to adapt & learn from other cultures that we live in" where else Diversity in her words, "a mix of different groups of people with unique qualities". These unique qualities include elements such as cultures, races, ideas, attitudes, foods, music, beliefs...".
Miss 'B' however, spoke of culture and diversity based on what she knew of the Japanese way of life and the Dutch way of life and nothing beyond that.
It's very interesting to see my friends' perspectives on culture and diversity. Through this assigment, I have learnt that many people do not know the true meaning of culture and diversity including myself. Now when I see other's I know that I should acknowledge their differences and celebrate it.
However, due to unforeseen circumstances, Miss 'C' could not come back to me on time.
Miss 'A' had explained culture and diversity closest to what I have learnt in this course. Culture and in her words "Culture is the way of life by a group of people, plain and simple. It isn't based on written rules, it is something that naturally happens and it affects how we choose to live and how we choose to perceive the world around us. Culture is influenced by everyday attitudes & thoughts, family values, ideas, traditions, beliefs, etc. We learn from our families and our communities what is culturally acceptable and not acceptable but as we grow, we find ways to adapt & learn from other cultures that we live in" where else Diversity in her words, "a mix of different groups of people with unique qualities". These unique qualities include elements such as cultures, races, ideas, attitudes, foods, music, beliefs...".
Miss 'B' however, spoke of culture and diversity based on what she knew of the Japanese way of life and the Dutch way of life and nothing beyond that.
It's very interesting to see my friends' perspectives on culture and diversity. Through this assigment, I have learnt that many people do not know the true meaning of culture and diversity including myself. Now when I see other's I know that I should acknowledge their differences and celebrate it.
No comments:
Post a Comment