I detected one microaggression incident this week. We were at the beach and my boys were playing with their beach toys in the sand. Many people were at the beach as well. One of the child ( who happens to be Norwegian based on the language they were speaking, I could be wrong) found one of my boys bucket which was left unattended and started playing with it. My boy later realized this and came to me and reported it. I told him that if he wants to play with it he could go and tell the child that the bucket is his and he wants to play with it or if he doesn't want to play with it yet he can let the child to play with it for a while. Of course he wanted to play with it immediately so he was insisting on me to go and get it. I refused as I wanted him to learn to tackle this kind of issue by himself. He was standing in front of the child but he didn't talk. He, then realized that the child speaks in Norwegian. Immediately he thought that the child only talks in Norwegian and not in English. So he shouted back loudly at me saying "she doesn't speak my language". I know he meant no harm but the child's parents were close by and they would have heard it. I have a feeling that they may have felt like a victim of microaggression. I would have if I was in their shoes.
This week practice influenced me in such a way that I was very conscious with what I was saying and what others were saying to each other and whether there was any microaggression content in what was said. I would say I had become a little extra sensitive to my surroundings.
This week practice influenced me in such a way that I was very conscious with what I was saying and what others were saying to each other and whether there was any microaggression content in what was said. I would say I had become a little extra sensitive to my surroundings.
Thank you for sharing. It easy for us to judge and assume that people from a different countries does not know how to speak English. I see it all the time at my job that I feel really bad for them and I get upset when my coworker gives people a hard time and not try to help them. Even with people that doesn't understand English very well nor Spanish I still try to help them and many time they understand and grateful that I was able to help them.
ReplyDelete