Thursday, July 16, 2015

Personal Childhood Web

These five people have had the most impact on my life when I was growing up.

Mom
I used to have a love hate relationship with my mother when I was growing up. She had or still has a very strict parenting style. She focuses more on what needs to be done on day to day basis than on making connections with her kids. This probably because she doesn't know how to due to her childhood background ( read my post below on “ The story of a child that has touched my heart”. I never understood her then even though I knew her childhood background story. I used to always feel disconnected and very angry towards her whenever she ask me not to do something or to do something. Having said that, I have now realized that her strict parenting actually kept all of us ( including my dad and siblings) on track and keep the family going on daily basis. She made sure we were fed on time with healthy food, we were never showered with material things and we were taught to appreciate one another as a family and enjoy what we could afford. She taught me to always respect everyone and give more to the needy ones. Like her, I am trying my best to run my family life as efficient as she did. Providing, nurturing, caring and guiding my children just like she did.

Dad
My Dad is my hero. He is has been and has always been my pillar of support. I spend a lot of quality times with him whenever he came to pick me up from school. We used to just talk about everything during the car ride to pick up my mom from her work. Our thoughts are always in the same wavelength which makes it so easy for me to open up to him and know that he will always be there for me.
He was also the same with my younger siblings. There was one day when I was 14 years old, me and my whole family were packing to go on our family outing which was basically like a religious pilgrimage the next day. The night before my best friend's dad died. My friend was shattered when she told me the news on the phone. I just knew that I had to be next to her to comfort her. My mother was a little reluctant to let me go since it was late night. But my dad didn't even think twice. He told my mother that he taking me to see my best friend. I was so glad that he could understand my feelings. He taught me that I only need to have to be willing to find a way to be with my loved ones when they need me the most and till today I try to be that to everyone who really needs me.

Grandmother
My grandmother has always been there for me on daily basis as she was the one babysitting us while my parents were at work. She lived with us so I had the privilege growing up with my grandmother by my side. She is the most determined and physical strong woman that I have known in my life. She taught me that if I get hurt, cry a little bit but then make sure I get up and move on with life. She taught me how to cook our traditional food. She loved all her grandchildren with all her heart. She will feed me when she is eating her dinner. I treasure these moment so much and though I miss her a lot, I am also very grateful for her presence early in my life. I guess I have inherited not all but some of her characteristics such as knowing when to get up if I fall down once in a while in life.

Sister
My sister is 10 years younger to me. When my mother told me that she is pregnant with my sister, I was over the moon. I already had a younger brother and I was longing for a younger sister. I still remember the day my mother brought her home from the hospital. I took every opportunity I got to take care of her and spend time with her. She was and still is my baby sister. There were times when I used to take her for a walk and people used to ask if I was her mother. Being with her just by spending time taking care of her taught me how I enjoy being with young children and also I have realized that I actually make an effort to understand what they are feeling or trying to say. My sister grew up to be a very sensitive person and none of my family members can actually talk to her when she is down as she tends to keep it all to herself. One day, her favorite pet ( a hamster) died. I noticed she was in her room the whole time and taught something was wrong. Though my parents noticed the same, they couldn't get her to tell what it was when the approached her. But I managed to make her talk and she finally cried to her hearts content. Later I helped her to do a burial ceremony for her darling pet and say a proper 'good-bye'. She was so much better after that. I was so glad that I intervened. I can surely say that my passion for early childhood started from then on. Unknowingly, She has had helped me realize that.

Dance Teacher
I started learning Indian classical dance from the age of 8. My dance teacher was a gentle and well cultured woman. I always admired how she interacted with her students. She treated all of us like her daughters. She have always been very happy and proud of my achievements in classical dance. Knowing that helped to encourage me to achieve more. Learning classical dance from my teacher taught me how to be disciplined about my fitness and graceful in my movement. It also taught me to be very close and aware of my own culture. Probably explains my love for my culture. I believe nobody should forget where they come from and their culture. It defines who they are. It is ones' identity. I am glad that I know what my identity is and I will pass this on to my children for sure. 

4 comments:

  1. Growing up, I think daughters attach to their fathers more. I am glad you and your mother have a better relationship. Mothers are meant to be strict but it makes up become strong woman in the long run. Continue to be a great mother to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your relation with you mother completely! I have a similar relationship with my dad. It was not until I moved out that I started to understand why he is the way he is and his way of showing love. Today we have such a strong relationship and I am very thankful for that. Thank you for sharing. I love that you and your father have such a strong bond! I also loved reading about your dance teacher. That is so great you had someone like that in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pushpa, I think its awesome how those care ride conversations with your dad is what made a difference in your life. Its conversations such as these that can have a great positive or negative impact on a child's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to the strict discipline, except it was from my step father , but I am really appreciative of it today. Because it made me into the man and father I am today, to know it was discipline that kept from the life which others in my community would face in their adulthood, due to lack of discipline.

    ReplyDelete