Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Sharing Web Resources


 I am currently exploring Zero to Three, a non profitable organization website. There are important information on child poverty titled " Poverty's effect on Infants and Toddlers". I find this information very resourceful and interesting as it helps with my current research on poverty and how to go about helping the children and families in my community who may be struggling in poverty.
 I was shocked to learn from the website that there is an increasing percentage of children being expelled from child care programs and preschools due to challenging behaviors. I am going study more on this issue and learn more on how this is being managed. Expelling children at that early age does nothing but more damage to them and their brain development. We in the early childhood education field should know this better than anyone else. I am sad to know that this is happening at an astonishing rate according to the website. 
 The January 2016 newsletter issue has an article titled " Connecting Science, Policy, and Practice: ZERO TO THREE’s National Training Institute, 2015". This article contains information on the latest researched on brain functioning during the first 3 years of life and how toxic stress impact early child brain development. It also talks about how tribal communities are taking advantage of the federal funding to implement quality early childhood care and education.
 This website handles one current issues currently in early childhood field which is education for the parents. The website has a "Parent Portal" whereby parents can go in there to look for any information that they may find beneficial for them and guides them in thinking of the best way to meet their child's individual's needs.

3 comments:

  1. Pushpa,

    It is astonishing that there are early childhood centers that expel children from child care. I have a child at my center that was "kicked out" of four child care centers before he ended up with us. He has some behavioral issues but the changes from center to center and the fact that he felt unwanted made his behaviors worse. His first year with us was awful. This is his second year with us and his behavior has cut in half or more. He has made friends and he's doing much better. It is shocking to me that other early childhood professionals do not see the big picture and have these policies at their centers.

    Also, thank you for sharing the information on the article about toxic stress impact. I would like to read more on this research as well.

    Bobbie Worthington

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is awful!. I am glad that he came where he could receive genuine help from true professionals. Good on you and your school. Schools that has that kind of policy should be closed down. In my view, they serve no purpose whatsoever.
      I will certainly be sharing more information on the impact of toxic stress soon. Thank you so much for your feedback.

      Delete
  2. I am also focusing on NIEER. However I did not look into the 0-3 research since I teacher preschool. I thought the information would be as relevant to my professional growth. After reading your post I realize that was an incorrect assumption. The information you were able to gain and share is critical to us all in the education field. I look forward to following your blog and learning more. Thank you

    ReplyDelete