Monday, August 8, 2016

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudices and Oppressions

  I have witnessed many incidents that are bias throughout my life. I was in one of the middle eastern country and I decided to walk into a shop in a mall. There was no one in that shop except for one salesgirl who happens to be an Asian. She saw me coming in, I smiled at her and wished her but she didn't respond and went back to her work. I was looking through the things in the shop when suddenly I heard her saying “ Welcome”. Just before I turned around to look at her, I thought maybe she realized that she forgot to greet as she was too focused in her work ( she was writing something). I turned around to look at her but I was surprised to see that she wasn't looking at me and smiling. She was looking at the front of shop and then I realized she actually stood up, smiled and greeted a bunch of Middle easterners who just walked in the shop. The irony of the situation was that, those bunch of middle easterners didn't even smile or respond back to her greetings.


  This particular incident diminished equality by each one looking down upon the other and thinking the other person is unworthy of a simple greeting or smile. This made me feel sad, angry and I couldn't do anything but laugh at the situation. I think the change needs to be done from the grass roots. Parents and social surroundings need to teach children how to respect and not be bias of others. I feel our generations or the generations before us have failed miserably in creating a world without bias, prejudice or even oppressions. We can change this so that the future generation can live in a better world. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Pushpa for sharing your story. I understand how you feel that at that moment all you can do is laugh at the situation. At work I see people from different countries and nationality but I try to treat equally and not that long ago a customer hurt my feeling when all I came to do is try to help him twice and he you are discriminating me just because he was Korean. Everybody knows that is not me. All I could do was laugh because I knew I was doing my job. I agree with you that we can change this that the future generation can live in a better world.

    ReplyDelete